Pray for him!

This morning, I awoke feeling just a little blue that it will be another four days until I get to see my husband. He is away for work this week, and I guess I am just a little spoiled to have him here all the time. This is the one week out of the year that we are away from each other. 

So as I moped around, I washed up the dishes from last night, I made a pot of coffee, changed a diaper and made a bottle, and then settled in to read my Bible. A couple weeks ago, Dave and I had read Ephesians chapter 3, and we were both struck by the specificity with which Paul prayed for the churches. The things that he desired for them and asked the Lord for in their names was so powerful.

"For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." Ephesians 3:14-21

I don't know about you, but that is a powerful prayer! I remembered it this morning, as I struggled to think what I could do about missing my husband. PRAY FOR HIM! I kind of felt like the Lord had to slap me upside the head with it! (So like a good wife, I went on Pinterest and looked up "Scriptures for marriage." I did find some really wonderful passages that I never really thought about concerning marriage before. I will be sharing those soon!) 

Do we pray specifically for our spouses? Not just, "Dear Lord, I pray my husband has a good day and things go really well for him. Amen." Believe me, I have prayed that prayer a lot! But it seems kind of empty next to this passage... When was the last time that you got down on your knees for your husband or wife? Turned off the television, cleared your mind, and poured out your heart for your beloved?

That is what Paul did! He genuinely cared about each person enough to hit his knees and intercede to God for them! First, he asked that God would strengthen with might by His Spirit the inner man. Wow. The inner man - the battle against the flesh. The daily fight that we all struggle with day in and day out. To have the might of the Lord to protect against lust, deceit, manipulation, bitterness, anger, hatred, covetousness, and so much more!

Or how about this one - that Christ might dwell in their hearts by faith. To comprehend the breadth, and length, and depth, and height of the love of Christ! Again - wow! Not just that they might "feel" the love of God, but that they might comprehend it. And to be filled with the fulness of Christ!

Do we pray that our beloved would have a deeper understanding of the Scripture? That they would become more Christ-like in leading the home? Or have more wisdom in their work place? More discerning in the handling of finances, discipline of children, and following the Lord?

I am so challenged by this passage! It hits me like a brick wall! And the best part - these words are prayed to...
Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us!
 God is able to build these things into our lives, as well as the lives of our spouses -- but we must ask! We must intercede for our husbands and wives! I challenge you to pray for your beloved. Pray specifically. Pray for their knowledge and understanding of the things of the Lord to increase. Pray that their love towards others might deepen.

One last thought for today...
 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Proverbs 31:27
Are you looking well to the ways of your household? Take a moment and lift them up to the Lord on this Monday morning!

Comments

Popular Posts