Can we be silent for the sake of the Gospel?

The weekend before last found me working outside in 90 degree heat painting our deck. Several of the young men from our church answered our call for help that Saturday, and I found myself side by side with a man in his early twenties. It was hot and kind of miserable, and it was not were I wanted to be and my attitude was kind crappy to be honest. We painted in silence for a while and then found ourselves talking about jobs, home life, and hobbies. When asked what I did in my "free" time, I replied that I enjoyed trying new recipes, sewing, painting, and writing. Much of my life is recorded in journals, and I have always processed my thoughts through the writing process. 

I was about to change the subject, when he said, "You had a blog for awhile, didn't you?" 

I replied, "Yes. But I rarely have the time to write like I would want. I have always wanted to write a book. Who knows...maybe someday I will."

"What kind of a book?" he asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Something about my life experiences and how I see God in my everyday life."

Then he floored me and said, "So, do you consider yourself an inspirational person?"

Huh. That stumped me. How do you answer a question like that without sounding insincerely either over humble or over confident?

I finally replied with something like "I don't suppose I am any more inspirational than the next person, but I do think that we should share our God experiences with each other - especially those in the same season of life."

I have thought about that conversation since that day, and it convicted me on a level that I don't think he had any idea that it would! Am I an inspirational person? Not just a good person, but someone that inspires my peers to seek Jesus? Do they see him in me? Do I desire that my words spoken in person or on social media convey the love of my Savior, first and foremost?

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Ever heard the saying, "You better check yourself before you wreck yourself?"
Well, I found myself hearing that in my heart (and from my husband) in response to some of the things I had posted on Facebook in recent months. So much has happened in the last few months. Things that have scared me, isolated me, and angered me. I began reacting in the flesh and allowing those dark parts of my heart to choose my words.

I began to pray in earnest for God's forgiveness, as I saw the effect that my words were having on others. I was causing others to stumble in anger and bitterness. Because when we think others have taken up our cause, we become emboldened to sin. And that is what my words had become - a spoken sin. I believe it is good to be passionate about what we believe - both about things of the spirit and things of earthly concern.

But no matter how strongly we hold an opinion, if it is spoken in such a way that the truth cannot be heard with love...there is no value in our words.

"The words of a wise man’s mouth win him favor, but the lips of a fool consume him." Ecclesiastes 10:12
I had been consumed by my own version of "right." Swallowed up by pride and anger! How much more would I rather win the favor of my Savior?

As a Christian, a child of God, and a woman that holds a position of leadership in ministry - I am called to higher standard than the world. I still do not consider myself inspirational, but I know that I have influence among my peers. We all do! We are meant to be a light to the lost, and an exhortation to excellence to our fellow believers.

A missionary spoke to our church a few weeks ago, and his message was simple but powerful - it's time to get back to work. In response to all that has happened in the recent days and months, he gave the call to again take up the cross of Christ for the lost!

Listen to that again - It's time to get back to work! The work of the Gospel! Many of us have been frozen in our homes and isolated. Depression and anger and lack of Christian fellowship have been doing the work of Satan in our country, our churches, and our families - and it is simply time to get back to work! There is no place for excuses to sin. We have a limited amount of time on this earth, and every day must be precious to us. 

Do you want to be known as a man or woman that would rather have their opinion heard at any cost, or someone who could be silent for the sake of the Gospel? When was the last time that you checked your heart? Our words on social media may not change the world, but they very well can and do effect the hearts of our friends and family.

We all have a sphere of influence - how will you use yours today? Is the Gospel important enough for you to die to the flesh? To submit to the authority of Christ and regain an eternal perspective? If you feel convicted by these words, then it is the Spirit working. I pray that you would heed His voice. 

"Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me." Psalm 51:1-3

Comments

Popular Posts